This recipe was inspired by our nephew's girlfriend Allie, who happens to be a nutritionist and enlightens us on how food is like medicine to our bodies.
Studying nutrition, Allie learned you can get more nutrients from eating this quinoa salad than you can in taking just one multi-vitamin! The key ingredients in this salad are the lemon and cumin, which gives the tangy and refreshing taste to the salad. This is a quick and easy salad to make all summer long!
Served chilled alone for lunch or at dinner as a side for a complete meal! Everyone will love it! Also, try our other Quinoa recipes under Gluten-Free dishes.
- 2 cups of Quinoa- cooked, (or one cup uncooked)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh red bell pepper
- 1 cup of cooked shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup of chopped black olives
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped raw zucchini
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of fresh Italian flat parsley
- Lemon Juice from 2 whole lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Serves 4 -6
Here are some tips:
- The quinoa is best cooked in chicken or vegetable stock; try a low sodium stock for a healthier spin.
- Cumin is used as an anti-inflammatory and is beneficial when taken in orally. It has a very distinct, ethnic taste and is not liked by everyone. However, it definitely adds a kick to this salad!
- The amount of salt, pepper and olive oil can be used according to individual taste and preference.
Enjoy and don't forget to leave us a comment after you've made the recipe!