Rice ball casserole is stuffed with a blend of chopped meat, peas, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese all into one delicious casserole, then baked until the mozzarella on top is melted. This makes an easier alternative to making the original Italian/Sicilian rice balls which are large rice balls stuffed the same way, only they are coated with breadcrumbs then deeply fried. These rice balls are commonly known as "arancine." And one, my husband goes bonkers for!
We love it best in a casserole version, making it so much easier to pull it all together and still enjoy the same deliciousness you get from the original rice balls. The fact, I enjoy this rice ball casserole better (than in the form of rice balls) because it's baked rather than fried, and it makes clean up a breeze!
This is a rice casserole I think your whole family will love! I made this a few weeks ago for my Sicilian husband and for some guests who were staying with us. And, I made it again for tonight. I used our mom's marinara sauce, which I had on hand. But you can use store bought sauce if you like.
Our mom always made this dish into a casserole with all the same fantastic ingredients.
So amazingly delicious! Only she prefers to make it with her bolognese sauce and just adds frozen peas to it. Both recipes are fantastic! If you're looking for the perfect one dish meal containing carbs, protein and vegetables....This is it!
You can also make this less fattening using ground veal, chicken or turkey, but my husband says "its not Sicilian" if you don't use beef! ..Lol... Either way, this is a dish everyone should try!
BEST Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meat and Peas
- 3 cups organic long grain rice uncooked
- 6 cups of water
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove- diced
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 18 ounces Mom's Quick Marinara Sauce - divided
- 2 Tbsp. Parmigiano-Reggiano grated cheese
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1+1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
1. First, cook the rice with 6 cups of water, and follow directions on package.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl, add the butter, mix and set aside to cool.
2. In the meantime, using a medium skillet, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook meat until browned and well cooked. Using a wooden spoon, break the chop meat while cooking. Season with salt and pepper. Add peas and 8 ounces of tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat then covered for 10 minutes. Turn off heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine rice with eggs, pecorino cheese, 4-ounces of marinara sauce and mix well. Rice will be sticky.
4. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish, including all four sides, with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs to baking dish, roll the dish until bottom and all sides are coated with breadcrumbs.
Add the entire meat and peas mixture to cover the rice.
Scatter with a layer of shredded mozzarella on top.
7. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle with some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Top with a layer of shredded mozzarella.
Serves 8 to 12