My good friend and neighbor Julie loves to bake, and made this festive Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Cream Cake Roll for her special Valentine's cocktail party this past weekend and invited me to come over to share her recipe and take photos. If you have never made one, like me, then fear not! We have provided a step-by-step, how-to photos for this recipe.
....Well then, let's get started!
Re-roll the cake with filling slowly and fairly tight. Store in an airtight container with a lid or wrap with foil wrap and place it into your freezer. Keep frozen for at least an 1 hour before icing or frosting the top.
When cake is frozen, spread the top with icing and decorate with chocolate candies and freeze again until ready to serve.
Frozen chocolate cake with a strawberry ice cream filling is elegant, yet surprisingly easy to make, a frozen ice cream cake roll makes a perfect dessert to serve your family and friends.
Wishing you and your families something sweet on Valentine's Day!
Here are some tips: We recommend to use a non-terry cloth towel, don't want any lint to get all over the cake. If you don't have parchment paper, wax paper will work just fine. Also, you can lightly spray the wax paper with cooking spray instead of spreading with oil.
Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Cream Roll Recipe
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix (used Betty Crocker Super Moist)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and extra for jelly roll pan
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar, and extra for towel
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream or gelato
- 1 jello roll pan (12 x 17 size) ( used Calphalon Jelly Pan )
- wax paper or parchment paper
- 1 clean kitchen towel
Chocolate Icing for the cake roll
- 2 cup confectioners sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa (used Hershey's Cocoa)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. crisco / oleo
- some milk, if needed to spread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 12 x 17 jelly-roll pan with parchment or wax paper. Try to fit the paper to completely fit the bottom and goes up the sides of the pan. Drop 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over the paper and using your fingers to spread the oil evenly over the wax paper. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat 6 eggs on medium speed for 5 minutes.
Then, pour in the chocolate cake mix, water, vegetable oil and add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, and then 1 minute on medium speed.
3. Pour only 3 and 1/2 cups of cake batter onto the prepared jelly roll pan. Using a spatula to spread the batter to the edges of the jelly-roll pan. Use the remaining batter to bake cupcakes with, which will yield you 4 cupcakes.
4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes only. Cake should lightly spring back when you touched in the center. While cake is baking, grab a clean rectangular kitchen towel and spread it out on a clean work surface. Scatter about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar over the clean towel and spread evenly using your hand.
5. When cake is done. Remove from oven and place it on the counter. Take a small knife and slide the knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the cake from the pan and from the parchment paper.
6. Then carefully flip the pan over onto the prepared kitchen towel. Slowly pull off the wax paper and discard it. Take the end of the towel and fold it over one side of cake, and begin to roll the cake with the towel. Then place it onto a rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
7. When ready to fill the cake roll, take out the ice cream and allow it to soften on the counter, about 20 minutes or so. Slowly unroll the towel and spread with your favorite ice cream, leaving 1/2 inch open around the egdes. Re-roll the cake again. Wrap the cake with foil wrap or place it into a airtight container with a lid with seam side on the bottom, and freeze for least 30 minutes before spreading the icing on top.
8. Prepare the icing while cake is freezing, whisking all the ingredients together until the texture is smooth and spreadable. When cake roll is frozen, spread the icing on top. Decorate with candies, nuts or sprinkles. Keep in freezer until you are ready to serve. Before serving, allow the cake roll to thaw about 20 to 30 minutes.
Yields: about 12 slices