Fresh parsnips are cut into 2-inch sticks and baked with olive oil and herbs, making this a delicious side, that is easy to make and wonderful to serve with some of your favorite dishes.
Parsnips are related to the carrot family and have a sweet taste. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Plus, each 1/2 cup serving is only about 55 calories, a win-win!
I try to get my family to eat more vegetables these days by making a variety of them for dinner. A few weeks ago, I roasted parsnips to make a Roasted Garlic and Parsnip Soup, and my Lizzy suggested I try baking them as I would French fries. I did and my family loved them!
Give the parsnips a quick rinse in cold water, then gently peel the skin. Trim off the ends and cut into long sticks. Next, scatter them onto a baking sheet, drizzle some olive oil, herbs and bake in 15 minutes. It's that simple!
We used our favorite blend of herbs, "Herbs de Provence," which comes conveniently in one bottle, making cooking a pleasure. The blend of herbs in one combination give so much flavor to the parsnips, you won't need to add any salt. But if you prefer, go ahead, we won't mind.
Baked Parsnip Fries are so good! Serve them with a roast or poultry, your family will enjoy them as much as we do. We love eating them alone, but the kids of course - will ask for the ketchup.
Try serving them with a drizzle of Truffle Oil and some grated Parmesan cheese on top, then watch them disappear!
Oven-Baked Parsnip Fries
- 1 pound fresh parsnips (about 3 or 4)- peeled, cut into 2-inch sticks
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, and extra
- 1 Tbsp. dried Herbes de Provence
- optional: ketchup, for dipping
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking pan.
2. Scatter parsnips onto a baking pan. Then sprinkle with Herbs de Provence over them and toss the parsnips with a spatula or with your hands to blend evenly. And, spread the parsnips again in a single layer so they will bake evenly.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until they are golden and crispy. Remove and transfer to a serving dish. Serve them warm.
Serves 3 to 4